R/C Model Boat Racing June 17-18 at the CBMM
Come to the water’s edge (Fall Cove) just off the Steamboat Building on the grounds of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum (CBMM) on Friday, June 17 for the R/C boats’ test run and/or on Saturday, June 18 @ 1 pm (weather permitting) for the actual competitive R/C model boat races. This feature during the 29th Annual Antique & Classic Boat Festival, hosted by the Chesapeake Bay Chapter of ACBS at the CBMM each Father’s Day weekend, has become a popular attraction in recent years and always draws an eager crowd.
Model boats will be on display both days. These exacting to-scale boats have wowed classic boat enthusiasts in prior years. This presentation features the best examples from several Chesapeake Bay boat modeling and R/C clubs.
Spearheading the R/C model boat racing activity, Ray Maule, Cheasapeake Bay Chapter & Boat Festival Committee member (and a modeler himself) filled us in on the Top 5 “Don’t Miss” model boats that will either be racing or on display that weekend:
• A 31” Chesapeake pleasure / fishing boat that Ray handcrafted over 40 years ago
• A detailed R/C boat modeled after the CBMM’s full size 1934 Drake Tail Chesapeake Bay wood workboat. The full-size, restored Martha will be tied up in the piers at the CBMM so you can compare the real-life version of this workboat to the model.
• A 31” model of a Hacker-Craft speedboat
• A classic Century mahogany runabout
• A century old child’s steam launch (toy boat)
© 2009 - 2017 The Chesapeake Bay Chapter of The Antique & Classic Boat Society, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site by Oz & KABAM.net